Thursday, 30 October 2008

My "Måmå"

Inspired by Glorias post here, I just wanted to show you these two photos of my grandmother. I'm not at all as good as Gloria to tell a story so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves only adding that she is one of my greatest inpirations when it comes to sewing, embroidering and in general being creative. For example she's the one who made the cross-stitched month embroidery to the right. But I'll tell you more about her creative work another time!

She was a housewife who never stopped studying. Among many other things she knew the names (in Swedish and latin) of thousands of flowers, herbs, moss, minerals, mushrooms etc., all the constellations of the northern hemisphere and had very strong opinions on environmental issues like forestry which is very important where I come from. So you can understand she was for many reasons a hero to me growing up! :)

This picture is taken in 1979 and shows me and my granny ("Måmå" as I pronounce the Swedish word for grandmother in my dialect..) trying to play the piano while my little brother does his best to sabotage. The song is most likely something by Alice Tegnér. My Måmå is dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, not at all the typical flowery old lady-dress! We're in the basement of my grandparent's house where they had a room each to do their respective creative work. In the lower right corner is an unfinished embroidery from her series of embroideries depicting scenes from "the Lord of the Rings", one of my grandmother's favourite books . I don't have any photos of her "lord of the ring"- embroideries so I'll have to show you that another time, it certainly one of her masterpieces!

This photo is taken in 1952 and shows my grandma, one of my uncles and my mum (don't we look alike?!) Because of the job my grandfather had, they moved around quite a lot so I'm not sure where it's taken but they always made sure to stay in the countryside so they could be close to the nature and to have a big garden to grow vegetables and fruit. She was practically a part of the "green wave" (gröna vågen), the environmentalist movement before it even started in Sweden!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin